I am focused. Multi-tasking is overrated. Yes, I just said that. I used to think I did that very well and in some areas I do. I also know I’m great at procrastination and will often use another task to put off something I should be doing. I am not giving up multi-tasking, of course. What I have been becoming is more focused.
I have finally come to the to realize that I can’t do everything. No, not just realize, I actually believe it and don’t bother to strive for it. For years there was something in me that would say, “A good mom does (fill in the blank)” or “Maybe I am not good enough at (fill in the blank)”. Perhaps both of those statements are even true, but just because I don’t do something doesn’t mean I’m not a good mom and I don’t have to be good enough at everything.
There are a few things I am focusing on (or trying to focus on), these are not in any particular order:
- building my business
- becoming financially fit – budgeting (and sticking to it), saving, tithing, paying down debt, building my business
- becoming physically fit – exercising, Isagenix shakes, really difficult weekend hikes with friends where I want to cry and throw a fit, eating well.
- Managing my family and household. Even in doing that I have to choose what things to let go of and which ones to press through.
- Maintaining relationships around me. Not all of them, but the ones that are important to me.
- Finishing up a photography project and not taking on any new ones.
- Relationship with God. Trusting. Praying. Hearing. Reading.
Boy, that’s a lot to focus on, isn’t it? It’s also my life. In all of those areas I have or am in the process of streamlining or cutting out some things and adding in the things that will propel me toward my goals. I like this feeling of being focused. Monday I was not. I was blessed, but certainly not focused. Yesterday I was more focused, but feeling anxious about the upcoming hike and I let that steal some joy from me. Fortunately, I caught it quickly before much damage was done.
So, here’s to a day of being focused on whatever it is I am doing at that moment and not trying to solve everything at once.
Where is your focus today?